Friday, November 22, 2013

First week at home

We have been at home a whole week now.  There are moments when China seems like a million years ago and there are times when it feels like yesterday.  We had such an amzing trip and I do feel sad that it is over.  Real life is harder. 

We have a good week.  Sarah is one brave and amazing girl.  We are still struggling to find a schedule and fill our days.  She and I are pretty homebound right now.  We have tried to get out at least once a day but it has been to drive through things like the bank and yes, McDonalds.  Ugh!  But we went and got a biscuit one morning after dropping Jenny off at school.  I told Shane tonight I know I've been at home a lot when I've been looking forward all week to the fact that we have to drive to Dogwood tomorrow to pick up a prescription.  Twenty whole minutes!  It's all worth it though.  We are still working on bonding and attachment.  Things are coming along nicely though.  Two steps forward, one step back. All in time.  

We've been so blessed with pretty weather this week and we have taken advantage of that.  We have played out side everyday.  She loves the swing set and we were so surprised that she could use the regular swing! We had a baby swing ready for her because we weren't sure what her trunk strength would be like, but she can rock that big girl swing!  I'm trying to introduce sensory things to her and I filled a box full of rice for her to play with and she has loved that!  We try to spend a little bit of time with that each day.  My plan is fill it with something new each week.  The children in her orphanage have very little exposure to the world - and not in a good way.  So much is new to her!  We are pretty sure there was no outside play area at all.  They stayed in all the time.  Makes my heart hurt.  She is loving being outside.  Even while we were in China she would stand at the window and point outside. Loud noises seem to frighten her.  things I don't even think about.  We were outside this afternoon and in the distance I heard a UPS truck and it didn't even register.  But I saw the panic on her face and she ran to em and climbed up my legs as the truck past by.  That happens once or twice a day with things we don't even think about. 

Our biggest issue is sleep.  That's not a suprise.  We had just gotten China time figured out when it was time to come home.  We are all just plain ole tired.  Sarah is an incredabley restless sleeper.  She moves constantly.  She also seems to think 2:00am is party time.  She is generally up from 2:00-3:30 and then sleeps again until about 4:45.  We tried her in our bed but she is just too restless.  We have been tkaing turns on the floor in her room.  This seems to be working best- except for whoever is on the floor :).  Shane has the floor tonight and he just said he is going all out.  Cot, sleeping pads, the works.  

I had the floor last night.  She managed to stay in the bed until 4:45, but was wide awake during her usual time.  She has come to the floor with us most nights.  As she laid there moving around, soothing herself back to sleep my heart ached.  I saw that room. I saw that bed.  A night doesn't go by that I don't think about her in that room and see the faces of those still there.  I reached up and put a hand on her back and she settled down and went back to sleep.  Several nights when she wakes in those early early hours I will pull her on top of my chest and rub her back and she will settle.  Im so thankful she doesn't have to put herself back to sleep.  Alone.  I wonder how long it will be before I don't think about that all the time.  

Her  eating is slowly coming along.  We've gotten a good schedule and it's very predictable.  I think that has helped.  I still would never deny her food but do sometimes try to distract her if I can.  She seems to have some trouble swollowing which is pretty typical of CP kids.  We let her eat until she's done.  She has learned the sign for more (cause she's just that smart) and we are working on "all done".  

I am thankful this week is almost over for Will and Jenny.  Jenny is tired and I'm ready to veg out during Thanksgiving.

Thank you for your continued prayers as we adjust.  We are doing as well as can be expected.  Better really, but it is a process.  Thank you for understanding as we keep our world very, very small right now.    

Here are pictures from our week.

First morning home!

I love a wet headed baby moe than just about anything!

Challenging me to a game of dutch blitz

Enjoying the beautiful day!

My favorite picture so far

Yea Daddy for building the rail!

Big strong girl!

Collecting leaves

Snack time!

Gluing leaves

Hanging out with sister

No comments:

Post a Comment